Tradewinds was the first Australian supplier of Fair Trade tea & coffee
With all of our products we seek to comply with the 10 principles of Fair Trade, produced by the World Fair Trade organisation (www.wfto.com), of which we are members.
Value Added products and Fair trade
Value Added products are those that are fully processed and packed in their country of origin. Tradewinds believes that value added products make Fair trade even fairer by:
- Creating more jobs
- Increasing incomes and skills
- Promoting development and secondary industries
Tradewinds supports Fair trade and Value Adding in Sri Lanka
, East Timor
and the Pacific
. All our Sri Lankan teas are Value Added and many are Certified Fairtrade. In East Timor, we have helped establish their first export coffee roasting facility, and are the sole buyer of fully roasted and packaged coffee exported from East Timor. The PNG and Colombian coffees are fully Value Added.
We have long term relationships with our producer partners
and the projects
they support. Our carefully chosen products are fairly traded and return the maximum benefits to producers and their communities.
provides external checks that growers and producers are receiving a fair deal by:
The fairtrade logo.
- Setting a fair price (the Fairtrade Price) for their produce
- Stipulating an addition to the Fairtrade Price (the Fairtrade Premium) to be invested in social, economic and environmental development in their communities. (e.g educational and medical facilities)
- Protecting them from world market price fluctuations
- Prohibiting the use of forced or abusive child labour
For more information click here
Many of our teas and coffees are also Certified Organic. Most are grown without the use of chemical fertilisers, herbicides or pesticides. Our coffee growers use their traditional farming practices and grow small numbers of coffee bushes in their home gardens. Where this process has been recognised by a certifying body, it is indicated on the packaging.